Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I crossed the finish line!

Last Saturday I completed my 5k! What a relief!

But I will back up to Friday. Friday was a hot day up here in northwest Iowa. So hot that no one could sleep that night with our air conditioner on its last leg. Not good for this runner! I also could not sleep because of my nerves. I think i fell asleep at 3 am then awake at 3:30 am because Jaidyn was asking for a drink. Then back up at 6 am, then again at 6:30 am to get ready. Everyone was so tired!

We drove up to Orange City at about 7:20 am, My husband kids and my mom and I. Casey drops me off (7:45) and I am to meet up with a friend at about 7:50 am to get my packet that she picked up for me the night before. That packet has my bib (paper you wear on your shirt) and a few other items in it. I need that bib to race, if I do not have it I do not run. I can not find my friend ANYWHERE! I am frantically looking everywhere. I'm thinking to myself, I have worked so hard to not be able to run! I am fighting back tears. I see the 10k runners take off, still can not find my friend. I begin to ask everyone do you know Sheri Hansen... Do you know Sheri Hansen... then from behind me "Rachel" WHEW! Minutes before my race begins she finds me! Ok now to focus on the running.


Waiting to go!



We take off and the first half was good. The second half was a different story, my lack of sleep, and the wind from the morning storm was really hitting me and dragging me down. I had to stop a few times and when I did my poor breakfast made me a little light headed (I am assuming that was the cause). I kept running and finished! whoo hoo! Its over! Glad to do it, but glad its all over. Glad I had my awesome family to cheer me on! I am grateful for my husband and his support!


My AWESOME family waiting for me! I love them all dearly! 


Almost there...


The BEST cheerleaders a mom could ask for!

ready to cross that line! 









No comments:

Post a Comment